Friday, October 24, 2008

NYC, Baby! Celebrating Melissa and Molly's Big Birthdays

Monday through Thursday: Four days in Manhattan to commemorate the 21st and 40th birthdays of Molly and Melissa Borgmann. Whoohoo! Thanks to Beth and Steve Borgmann!

What follows are pictures capturing a bit of our time together. We took in a lot of art, drank a lot of good wine and ate some fine Italian and Asian cuisine. I can't think of a better way to close up this third decade, and honor the early adulthood of my baby sister. With the provocative work we encountered, were provocative conversations. Questions of life, love, death, race, religion, war, traveling abroad, politics, the economy: it was all in there.... And let's not forget the laughter!

Enjoy the pix!
Love,
Melissa















Landing in NYC on Monday when the theaters are dark, means seeking art in another space...
This French film, "The Secret" showing at "The Paris" was amazing....








Who can pass up Chekhov starring Kristen Scott Thomas?
We are soooooo lucky!






Of the two broadway shows we see, this will be my favorite...Arther Miller was not playing around when he wrote "All My Sons." ("Who are our sons?" is a huge question this play posed for me, especially during times of war.)



You could spend a week seeing the work at the Met, and still not do it justice...
Here's our attempt to take in some of the many galleries...




This is the closest I've ever been to a pyramid -- yet!




St. Catherine!


A favorite shot....this reminds me of the entrance to the Louvre...










"The search inside the self..." Thank you Morandi and Longhi!



Who knew I'd love Auguste Rodin's work so much? The Thinker and then these lovers...


To the Modern Art Rooms...Jackson Pollack!





This reminded me of Io Palmer's work....




"What is seared into your DNA?" I could hear Barack Obama's speech on race while viewing Willie Cole's work....
I also replayed a scene from "Amistad" in my head..."How did you get here?"

Kara Walker in the line up..

Hello Andy Warhol!



And a little Picaso...



This self portrait I dedicate to Joey Schulte...The first boy to nickname me, "Medusa."
Thank you very much!







What's a trip to NYC without a cab ride or two?










China Town!









And Diane Sawyer pops in to play bartender at this NYC pub we stop in at...



And we wrap up our stay with some Live Jazz at Lincoln Center...








LOVE!






Molly makes friends with a musician on tour...


Here's to the next trip!
Love! Gratitude! Good fortune!

7 comments:

Mary Jo Thompson said...

Thank you for allowing me to join you. I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me on your Bday trip to the Big Apple....I was WONDERFUL to have a vicarious experience of NYC...My dad was born in Queens and a part of my heart will always be there......Happy, Happy celebration of your rich and full life.....mary frances

Ann said...

Seriously!!! You Borgmann's know how to do NYC - wow!!! Next time I'm buying your tour book ;-)

Anonymous said...

JAH LOVES THE BORGMANS

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melis,

This looked like so much fun! I can't believe all the pictures in the Met. No one wanted your camera?

You need to see the movie "Camille" about Camille Claudel, Rodin's appentice/lover if you like his work. It was nominated for best foreign film in l984, I think.

Auntie Peg

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous buildings, people and travelers... yee-haw!

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures, just got a chance to look at them. Wish I could have gone but it wouldn't have been near as fun to not be able to drink all that good wine.