Monday, June 09, 2008

Poems Inspired by Scripture, South Africa, and North Minneapolis

"Groaning Beasts We Are"
by Melissa Borgmann

"You shall rot away because of your sins and groan one to another."
Ez 24:23

"Rot away, groaning."
That's what God said to me.
Not hiccupping.
...I wanted to punch those hippos.
Fat and bloated creatures lounging there on the beaches of South Africa.
"Dainty things," I thought (giggling.)
Like love a bit.
We are all sprawled out animals with our yeasty infections.
We'd do well to bake, bathe, feed ourselves – but not on one another.


"Perfect Adoration"
By Melissa Borgmann

"Jesus said to him, 'If you wish to be perfect, go,
sell what you have and give to the poor,
and you will have treasure in heaven.
Then come, follow me.'"
Mt 19:21 - 22.

If you wish to be perfect…
Throw away everything,
beginning with that cell phone.
Poverty, darling, poverty.
Next your nikes.
Airbrushed, I know, I see that. And I'm so sorry, but you asked.
You wanted this.
Perfection.
Buck up.
Naked.
Simple, simple, simple, simple.

Now: Adore God.

No comments: