Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Eat, Pray, Love": Colleen Berliner Responds to Mysterious Magnetic Forces at Work

The following response to yesterday's blog entitled, "Another Recipe for World Peace: Sorting this Love and Chemistry Business" is from my high school classmate, Colleen Berliner. She is writing from Ohio, and just the other side of a recent decision to take a new job - that pays nothing! except compensates her heart and spirit in deeply satisfying ways. I love her statement,
"I think about the mysterious magnet,
and I know that my happenstance decision to take this job was my heart pulling me in a direction I didn't know I wanted to go."
Enjoy! Read on!
Smiles,
MAB
....................................
Melissa,

It's funny you should send this. Of all of the book club books this
year, this one was my favorite. Mainly because I got to experience
the journey of a woman leaving behind what she thought she wanted just
at a time when my life was in transition. I'd lost my job, and I
realized it was a relief. But what to do next? I took a job at my
son's preschool/daycare because I thought it would get me through to
my next "career move."

And it turns out that this job...taking care of other people's
children...is something I'm more passionate about than I could have
ever imagined. I love it. It pays nothing, but I still love it.
There are neglected kids that I wish I could bring home with me, and
guilty conscience moms I wish I could comfort more. Every child makes
me smile in his or her own special way. Even the button pushers!

Every now and again, when I'm covered in drool and mashed bananas and
snot, I think about Elizabeth Gilbert's first nights alone, when she
was crying on the bathroom floor because she felt bad for being so
happy to be leaving her husband. I think about the mysterious magnet,
and I know that my happenstance decision to take this job was my heart
pulling me in a direction I didn't know I wanted to go.

I'm not a consistent responder to your contemplations, but this book
resonated so deeply with me, that I had to say something. Not because
I want to leave Jay...he's the love of my life!!!! But because I know
what it's like to stumble into your heart's journey rather than walk
confidently into it!

It's late on a Saturday, so I hope my ramblings make sense.

And I hope all is well with you in MN!

Peace Out!
Colleen


No comments: