Friday, July 17, 2009

Hear the Rain......

The following link was forwarded to me by my friend Anne this morning. Have you seen it? It's the Perpetuum Jazille Choir performing Toto's "Africa" - arranged by Tomaž Kozlevčar.



A few weeks back the same You Tube Video arrived in my inbox from Kat Reed, the woman who bought 1188 Juno. When I received the link and clicked to watch it then, I was awed, but it didn't have quite the same effect that this morning's viewing had on me.

Today: I cry. I sob. I laugh. I weep again. I am beyond awe; I am wowed, stirred, silenced. I love it.

Have you seen it?

Haha. Oh. I have to forward this along today, post it here, as a kind of prayer, as an act of reverence. Perhaps it's because I loved the original Toto version of the song? Perhaps it's because the act of making rain and thunder with human hands and limbs gives me pause: "We can do this? We can create rain? Is it possible?" (What else is possible?) I close my eyes and I listen. I open my eyes and smile. Maybe it's the lyrics that make me cry? The notion of blessing waters that fall over a continent, a land that I love and that inspires me to sing with the choir:

Its gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in africa, I bless the rains down in africa.

They sing of salvation. Of love. Perhaps for a person. Or for a land, a people, promise, a hope, some miracle. I wonder what the rains represent in life, in the song writer's heart? What does rain represent to me? To you?

I listen. I think of Francois. I think of falling in love at 40 and feeling 16 all over again. I marvel at what's happening in my heart. At the way the rain making music feels something akin to the love-making wonder of one human showing up in my life and committing himself to me.

I marvel: Is it possible? If the choir can do this, and a man can express himself so beautifully to me, what else is possible? What will we sing? What will we create? How will it rain in other ways?

I share this with you. I ask you what lives in your heart and mind and spirit and how you receive this video today. Yes.

Enjoy! Happy Contemplating!

Love,
Melissa



No comments: