Thursday, January 22, 2009

Your Responses to President Obama's Speech

The following are a collection of your responses to President Obama's Inaugural Address, that I have had the privilege of receiving in my email inbox. I stand in awe. Humbled. In love. Moved. Inspired. Hopeful. Grateful. Yes. For what unifies us, gives us hope, and invites us to continually be about the change that we so desire on this planet. I point you especially to the words of Nomi Nkomo, who, along with Colette Deharpporte, inspired me to initially publish the blog posting on Obama's speech. Nomi writes to further clarify why President Obama's line about creation vs. destruction was so powerful to her. I find her writing as a South African friend, alongside all of yours, insightful and wise, and giving voice to that which doesn't often get named, seen, acknowledged.

For it all, I say, "Amen!"

Happy Contemplating!
Melissa

***
Nomi Nkomo said...
"Know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy." - President Obama
I can't even call it a 'favourite line'. It was profound. It was a truth. We don't speak those. They mean nothing to us. We feel them but we don't speak them because speaking them would give life to them. If it's alive, we have to acknowledge its existence.

What it meant to me was so much more than a message to the Iraqi leaders. He was saying 'forgive'. Forgiveness frees you to move forward and build. Holding on to anything is a hindrance and you focus on what is/went wrong instead of celebrating the lessons and focusing on what is important - you, your well-being, the people that matter to you, your future, your family, your truths, your reality.

"[Your] people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy" - What matters in life is your successes, not your failures. I need to remember that it's my successes that matter, not my failures. I... need to remember that people will judge me on what I can build, not what I destroy.

When he said it there was a stunned silence. Honestly, it was the most powerful thing he said. Live up to that and tell me it wasn't... you know?

Nomi
***

Andrea said...

Amen, amen and amen, sister!

xo
Andrea

***
Jane K said...

Dear Melissa,

These grabbed me:
On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. The nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous.

The success of our economy has always depended not just on the size of our gross domestic product, but on the reach of our prosperity; on the ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart -- not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good.

To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.

words of hope,
peace
Jane

***

Sarah G. said...

Yee-haw!

***
tmr said...

thank you so much...i so appreciate your sharing this link and your sentiment ~ you're the best!

peace be...

t.
***

Sondra Samuels said...

I love it!!
SS

Sondra Samuels,
President
PEACE Foundation
1119 W. Broadway Ave.
Minneapolis, MN
***

Colleen said...

My favorite line is actually from his acceptance speech at the DNC
"Let us lead by the force of example, not an example of force."

***

Kate Johnson said...

Amen, Sister!

***

Cece Ryan said...

AMEN!!!!!!!! We got to watch it here at work on the big screen in our conference center. My Favorite is also “for we know that our patchwork……… and I do hope that we can finally put aside childish things, like party lines to accomplish the things that will serve all people!

***

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Queen Mab,

You have my AMEN. When the pastor started reciting the "Our Father" moments before the swearing in...I found myself joining in prayer outloud...in unison...in hope...in faith...in love.
Lovingly,
A.

***

Jody said...

Okay, in addition to what you have written (apologies if I repeat anything you already had I'm trying not to) here are some phrases that stuck out to me.

-On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.

-In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never given, it must be earned.

-What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified.

-To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds.

-For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies.

-But those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism...

-This is the source of our confidence - the knowledge that God calls on us to shape an uncertain destiny.

And of course all that you shared before which were the things at the top of my list before the ones I listed above.

***

Tanya said...

Amen my friend!! AMEN!!!

***

Julia said...

AMEN!

***

Sr. Rafael Tilton said...

AMEN AMEN!!
Sr. Rafael

***
Julie Landsman said...

I loved the poem by Alexander too...

***

Philip said...

We'll I hate to rub it in, but I just had to say, "Yes, I caught it live!" I was one of the many who attended it….it was simply an electric atmosphere.

***
Brendan and Marie said...

How marvelous to get a glimpse into the world's reaction to our miracle! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Prayers for our new President, his Cabinet and our government--they will need them every day as they face the task of rebuilding our country.

Regards, Marie and Brendan

***
Ann Dillard said...

Amen!

No comments: