Monday, March 03, 2008

"I Will Be With You" - Comforting Words from God, Via Moses and Fr. Richard Rohr

Friends,

I found amazing comfort and joy in these words.... Please share with anyone who may be struggling in their own steps, in their own journeys - as Love calls them forward.

Peace,
Melissa


"I Will Be With You"

Moses said to God, "Who am I to go to Pharaoh and bring the people of Israel out of Egypt?" (Exodus 3:11). The Lord answers, "I shall be with you." That's all. Simply, I'll be with you! He wouldn't tell Moses how to do it. He doesn't give him a timetable, any directions, simply - "I'll be with you" (3:12). Moses's power is the presence of the Lord. That's all! In every religious experience in the Bible, a person comes to an experience of God and god says, simply, I shall be with you. I will do it. Trust me. The directions come as you walk the journey. The word is not fully given until the first steps are taken. This is perfectly borne out as the Hebrews journey through the desert. Moses said to Yahweh's face, in his fourth attempt to get out of the job, "I am slow of speech. Why should Pharaoh listen to me?" (Exodus 4:10). Yahweh again comes back to him and says, I've given you the command. Go ahead. I will be with you. Do it! (4:12).

from The Great Themes of Scripture
Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good words! Thanks for passing them on Melissa! Definitely a comfort because I have no idea how to do what I am attempting to do in Tanzania! But am confident God is with me!!

grace and peace,
Michelle Perkins,
True Love Waits International

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mel. Extremely useful!

Adam Davis McGee